Jo-Lynne Shane is the blogger at Musings of a Housewife where you’ll find recipes, sound information on healthier eating habits and fun fashion ideas. She also has her own design company, DCR Designs where she strives to “beautify the blogosphere”.
1. What do you like most about interacting with brands?
I love discovering new products and learning about companies. I particularly love visiting company headquarters and getting to know the people behind the brand.
2. What is one thing you do as a blogger than you feel contributes to the success of your blog?
I am relational and authentic. I respond to most of my comments, and I try to bring newer bloggers into the fold. I’m generous with advice and information. My readers appreciate that. I’ve developed many friends over the years through my blog. I also believe that writing well and consistently helps keep the relationships going strong.
3.What has helped you grow the most as a blogger?
Probably trial and error, frankly. I’ve learned a lot from others and the conferences I’ve attended have been valuable, but you just can’t replace the school of hard knocks.
4. In what way have social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook helped you as blogger? Have they hindered you at all?
I definitely believe that Twitter and Facebook help grow the relationships that I’ve created on my blog. They also help to keep my posts in front of potential readers, as I often link to my new posts. I try to do this in a way that is relevant and interesting, as opposed to using a generic plugin.
5. Who are the mentors in your life? And who has been a key guide for you as you’ve built your business?
There are too many to name, and mentors tend to come and go with different stages of blogging. Early on, Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer was a big influence in my blogging journey. Michelle at Scribbit is also a long time friend and mentor. More recently, Alli Worthington and Cecily Kellogg are ladies I often go to for advice and assistance. But really, there are so many. Even those who have come along after me in their blogging journey are valuable sources of advice and information when it comes to PR and marketing – areas that I knew NOTHING about prior to blogging.
6. As a mom and a businesswoman, we know you are hardworking and loving it. When you do get a chance to pamper yourself, what do you do first?
I have one word for you: SPA. More often it’s the corner salon for a quick mani/pedi but when I have the time or the money, I splurge on a relaxing facial or massage at a swanky spa.