Tracy is the blogger behind Ascending Butterfly, a blog dedicated to promoting and seeking inspiration and an upwards journey of transformation. Whether she’s posting about things she thankful for, words of inspiration or a fun giveaway, Tracy’s joyful personality shines through and makes you feel at peace. Tracy is also one of our biggest fans; she always includes us in her Twitter #FF shout-outs and she makes us feel very loved!
What do you like best about working with brands?
1. It has provided me the opportunity to explore new products I may not have tried otherwise.
2. I’ve discovered new favorite products.
3. and have formed relationships that extend beyond the campaigns.
At Blissdom, we featured a Community Vision Board for 2011. What is your vision for this year?
My Personal Vision Board: I’ve hit a personal cross-roads of sorts, and my vision board for myself includes changes I want to make to my image, from hair and makeup to fashion. I’m changing, and I want my image to reflect the internal changes.
My Blog Vision Board: These changes have actually already begun! My first ‘blog’ vision or goal for this year was to switch to self hosting, and to that I can say CHECK. It was definitely the right decision for me. My second Blog Vision was to acquire my Facebook ‘Vanity URL’ and to that I can also say CHECK. Ascending Butterfly has a Mission Statement, it is simple yet very profound ‘We are a community of inspiration seekers who wish to inspire and be inspired’. Each day be it via an affirmational breathing excercise or something new I discover and love, my goal is to share inspiration. Another goal and I’m not sure if it’s more personal or blog oriented (it’s probably a bit of both) is to host more Twitter Parties, I co-hosted my first Twitter Party recently for PBS Kids series Curious George. I’m sort of fondly known on Twitter as the ‘Twitter Party DJ’ for always putting out fun song recommendations during the Twitter Parties, I really wanted to switch over to hosting and I finally had the chance to do that. I hope to do more of them! For my board, I simply printed out my name a comma and my blog name and then used semi colons and wrote Twitter Party Host. The law of attraction is very powerful, one I have learned to never under-estimate.
How do you create community with your blog readers and those you interact with online?
- Share your passion – whatever you do anyway whether you are paid for it or not, you are genuinely excited about, that passion shows through, and ultimately people who share in your passions, hobbies and interests will be drawn to not just visit, but stay around!
- Be Honest – writing in a contrived voice will lead to burnout, frustration and resentments, be true to both yourself and your audience.
- Questions – When your posts and blog overall reads like a conversation, you are doing it right! Don’t talk at the readers, talk to them. Ask Questions! Getting to know a bit about your readers makes your writing more engaging.
- Vulnerability – As weird as that may seem, what draws many readers to blogs is a strong sense of ‘that sounds just like ME’. When someone reads a post and then comments, tweets me or posts on facebook, ‘Hey, I can relate to that’. or “I’ve done that’. or ‘I feel that way too’ I know what I’ve written has truly resonated.
Who have been your blogging mentors? and/or Who do you look up to or draw inspiration from?
Because I am a single girl in the city and not yet a mom, even before I began blogging, I took inspiration from many Fashion Bloggers. Because I’m a Tech Geek and Gadget Girl at heart, I also read many Tech Blogs for their product reviews and recos before I purchase. But it is the bloggers who took time to answer my questions, share resources or recommend me to brands they were working with that always stay with me. Their spirit of community and sharing has always stayed with me, and I totally pay it forward! But the two bloggers who stand out most for their absolute awesomeness and helpfulness are @nadinejolie and @alywalansky, they are my biggest blogging inspirations in terms of the type of blogger I want to be at all times!
The above photo is a favorite taken at New York Fashion Week this year! Not sure how well it shows, but my shirt has butterflies and my earrings are butterflies also!